Thursday, October 19, 2006

Fog is like Kryptonite to an Arab Driver

Can you spot my parked car in the fog? I parked it near the lamp post and I drew a red arrow on the picture to help you.
I had to go somewhere in the city of Doha at 6AM one morning. There was a thick fog throughout the city...MOISTURE IN THE AIR...WHAT IS THIS???? Fog is like Kryptonite to an Arab driver. The best example I can give is when I was driving in DC in the snow. Being a DC native, I know how to drive in the snow. Since most of the people who live in DC are not from DC, most people can't drive in the snow in DC. The same thing happens here in Doha in fog. Drivers who normally would be racing around the city are driving like old people drive in America. The slow down to half their normal speed. The put their hazards on. They creep along the road. Western expats like myself, who are used to "moistrue in the air," drive normally. Some people won't even go out on the roads if there is fog in Doha. It is wonderful to drive in the fog!

1 comment:

Dachsberg Weekly said...

You have the fog we usually have in Germany this time of the year. I wondered where the og went to!