Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Free Dates in Qatar

The date palms in Qatar are producing vast amounts of dates. I have seen people picking the dates off the trees. As I have been told: Green-don't pick, Yellow-pick but may be bitter...let ripen, Brown ready to eat...but remember to wash off the sand and dust first or the dates can be gritty.
Since most of the date palms are on public property (ie. on street medians and in parks), they are technically the property of the Qatari government.
So I guess it is "pick at your own risk." I have date palms in my compound. So, for me, no need to pick dates on public property....but they do look good and tempting though...
According to Nadim, you definitely do NOT want to pick dates on public property in Saudi Arabia. In Saudi Arabia, these dates are considered governemtn property and if you pick them you are considered stealing and you will go to jail. Apparently, it is not so strict in Qatar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»