Friday, March 25, 2011

Boo library books. Yay personal book ownership.

Let me explain. I am a big fan of library books. I work in an academic library. I used to work in a public library.

On of the problems that I have with library books is the concept of sharing popular reading.

This even occurred when I was working in a public library, so it is not just limited to my academic library. However, I wanted to relate a story about a library book that I was recently interrupted from reading.

I read a review in the Washington Post about Townie: A memoir by Andre Dubus III.

At first I was excited to see that we had this book at the academic library. Usually new popular reading books, especially those that are hyped/reviewed in the Washington Post, are already checked out of our library before I can check them out; if they are ordered at all.

I checked out the library book and started reading it immediately. It is 387 pages, so I wanted to get started right away.

No sooner did I start to read it that there was a recall placed on the book. A recall means that the library book was requested by another patron. Therefore, the book needed to be returned in a few days or I would accrue heavier than normal fines.

I didn’t want to get into a recall war with another patron. I saw this at the public library, where patrons would recall a book that had just been recalled from them.

I returned the library book a little dismayed that I could not read it then.

This is why I usually buy popular reading materials.

Luckily this book is on sale at both Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

For now I am reading something else. Now I am reading Divine Creatures: Animal mummies of ancient Egypt. I may get back to Townie: A memoir, either as a library book or a personal purchase.

No comments: