Sunday, April 17, 2011

Thrift store books from Unique Thrift Store

I know that e-books are gaining in popularity. However, I still like reading paper books. One of the best ways that I have found to buy books is to go to thrift stores. Unique Thrift Store, which has a location in Falls Church, Virginia, has a decent supply of books. They have several topical sections such as romance, travel, and health; but the sections that I look under for books are literature, fiction, and non-fiction.

The picture above is of the titles from my last stop at the thrift store:
  • Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller
  • Maggie, A Girl of the Streets and Other New York Writings by Stephen Crane
  • The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
  • The Great Mysteries of Edgar Allan Poe by Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway
  • Hard Times by Charles Dickens
  • The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
  • Fire by Sebastian Junger
  • The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and Back Again) by Andy Warhol
  • Everyday Life in Traditional Japan by Charles J. Dunn
  • In the Wake of the Plague: The Black Death and the World it Made by Norman F. Cantor

After I have finished the book, I can keep it without fear of file corruption or obsolescence which has the potential to occur with an e-book. Barring fire or mold, a paper book, if well treated, will outlast me. Also, I can send a paper book to a friend to read which is something that e-books are currently very limited to do in this capacity.

In addition, the books that I bought averaged $1.49 each. As an example, the version of The Snows of Kilimanjaro and other stories by Ernest Hemingway that I bought at the thrift store for $1.49 is available for purchase as a paperback at Amazon.com for $11.20, a hardback at Amazon.com for $16.50 and a Kindle version at Amazon.com for $10.99.

No comments: