Thursday, January 05, 2006

Qatari Driver's License, NOT


I have some interesting news about trying to get a drivers license in Qatar.

In order to get a drivers license I need to show my Virginia drivers license.
I gave the DMV here my Virginia license and they rejected me for a automobile license. Why? Because on my drivers license it states that I am class M. Class M means that I can drive a motorcycle, as per the definitions on the back of the license. I can also drive a car in Virginia, but it does not specifically state that on my license. So, the official at the Qatar DMV rejected application for an automobile license stating that my Virginia license is for a motorcycle only. Logically this makes sense, if you read the license at face value. How do I convince the Qatar DMV that my license is in fact for BOTH an automobile AND a motorcycle?

I have three options:

1. Go back to the DMV and see if I can get a supervisor who will agree with me (unlikely).

2. Go to the US embassy and have someone there write me a letter on US Embassy letterhead informing the Qatar DMV that I do have a drivers license that allows me to drive an automobile. I called the US embassy and the extension that they have for Citizen Assistance is not in service. Also, even though their web site states that you can leave a voice message, there is not prompt for you to do so. The only other option is to go to the walk-in hours 10am-12pm Sun, Mon, Wed, and Thurs (also, unlikely).

3. Acquire my drivers license record from the Virginia DMV and hope that it states on there that I am licensed to drive an automobile. In order to get the record online I need a pin. I have asked for a pin but they will MAIL it to my Arlington Address in three days. Also, I have purchased a physical copy of my driver record, which will also be mailed to my Arlington Address in five days.

I have survived three months without a drivers license, but I would like a license so that I can be a driver instead of a passenger.

Putting the D'oh in Doha.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I would of said #2 and I still lean towards that.

Is it insane to think #3 would be faster?

Ed Keller said...

My Dad sent me my driver record via email. If this drone wants forms, I'll give him forms!

Anonymous said...

hey bud just become a new citizen to qatar and start living like one incuding getting your drivers license, forget being a us citizen Ps. It was nice knowing you in the states.